Paella Vegatarian/vegan recipes
The Vegan Paella must be your go-to dish for paella parties. This Spanish paella has a smokey flavor and beautiful colors with a caramelized crust are all that you need to bring to the party.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped, minced or crushed)
- 1 large tomato, sub ½ cup canned (diced)
- 1 ½ cups Bomba Rice (sub arborio rice)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, sub 1 teaspoon dried
- ¾ cup frozen peas (thawed)
- Lemon wedges (to garnish)
- Fresh cut parsley (to garnish)
- Add the vegetable broth to the saucepan over medium heat. Crush the saffron threads and add to the broth. Give a minute more after it starts simmering and then lower the burner.
- Take a 12-inch paella pan and heat 2 tablespoons of oil in it over medium heat. Add the onions and pepper and sauté until the onions soften and get a light brown color.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Now add the tomatoes, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, and dried thyme (if using). Sauté all the added ingredients for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and a tablespoon of oil to the pan and stir to coat the rice well. Cook for a couple of minutes to toast the rice and absorb all the flavors.
- Add fresh thyme and pour the broth slowly. Add salt and pepper and leave it without stirring else the rice will get creamier by the starches it releases. Simmer in the broth for a couple of minutes.
- Now turn the heat to medium-low to simmer it for more 15 – 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Make sure to give a pan even heat distribution.
- When the broth is completely cooked, pay close attention to the rice crust forming in the bottom and the crackling sound with a nutty aroma. This will take 1 – 2 minutes to form after the broth is dried. Check with a fork or a spoon. Make sure it’s not burning, just a golden-brown color.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the peas to the top and cover the pan with foil. Let it rest for 5 – 7 minutes then garnish with fresh parsley, cracked peppers, and lemon wedges to serve.